Just a place to jot down my musings.

Friday, July 24, 2009

A lament for the halcyon days ...

... when it actually used to be an even contest between bat and ball. And now we have this article from Cricinfo to prove that batting in the fourth innings of a Test is no longer a test of anything other than the fielding side's endurance. I'm not in the mood to think deeply about this issue, but throughout my cricket viewing days I've seen the balance of the game tip inexorably towards the batsman and away from the bowler. Virtually any variable you can think of works in favor of the batsman: heavier bats, shortened boundaries, free hits, utterly lifeless pitches, harsh legside wide rules, restrictions on bouncers and intimidatory bowling, mandatory ball changes just as the ball starts reverse swinging / spinning, the throw-the-kitchen-sink-at-it approach driven by Twenty20 … the list is endless. Now some of these developments (I'm thinking particularly of new, innovative batting techniques) are the result of changes in the culture of the game, and are healthy because they force both batting and bowling sides to be more creative. But most of the other developments are idiotic, foolish changes mandated by cricket's governing bodies to encourage stupid inanities like hitting sixes (pardon me, DLF maximums (and shouldn't that be "maxima"?) ) that suit nobody other than the advertisers. 

I'm seething with rage and not entirely coherent right now, so I'm going to end this post, but I beseech the ICC to please, for the love of all that is good and holy, redress the balance between bat and ball and to give bowlers some ability to bite back. Oh what would I not give to watch Holding and Marshall splay Ponting's and Hussey's and Pietersen's stumps!

<UPDATE>
Looks like Cricinfo heard my cry of anguish and decided to offer Allan Donald a platform to argue that ball tampering should be made legal to try to redress the balance between bat and ball. I'm not yet certain how I feel about this, but one thing is for sure: if this is allowed, we're going to see a heck of a lot more batsmen hopping around the crease looking uncomfortable. I haven't had my morning cuppa yet and so all arguments below are automatically suspect, but (a) this is a piece of legislation which is hard to push through for political reasons, but which will have an immediate effect in strengthening the bowler's hand against the batsman; (b) this will quickly weed out the not-so-deserving batsmen who've entered Test cricket recently on the basis of heavy bats and bat speed in Twenty20 and nothing else; (c) this will eliminate one old source of Anglo-Australian whining whenever they've been done in by a superlative Pakistani bowling performance; (d) any change that will have the effect of showing Dravid's worth to the world is a good one.
</UPDATE>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why pearls, and why strung at random?

In his translation of the famous "Turk of Shirazghazal of Hafez into florid English, Sir William Jones, the philologist and Sanskrit scholar and polyglot extraordinaire, transformed the following couplet:

غزل گفتی و در سفتی بیا و خوش بخوان حافظ

که بر نظم تو افشاند فلک عقد ثریا را


into:

Go boldly forth, my simple lay,
Whose accents flow with artless ease,
Like orient pearls at random strung.

The "translation" is terribly inaccurate, but worse, the phrase is a gross misrepresentation of the highly structured organization of Persian poetry. Regardless, I picked it as the name of my blog for a number of reasons: 
1) I don't expect the ordering of my posts to follow any rhyme or reason
2) Since "at random strung" is a rather meaningless phrase, I decided to go with the longer but more pompous "pearls at random strung". I rest assured that my readers are unlikely to deduce from this an effort on my part to arrogate some of Hafez's peerless brilliance!

About Me

My photo
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
—W.H. Davies, “Leisure”