Just a place to jot down my musings.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

On deduction, induction, and abduction (aka “Sherlock Holmes and the Mysterious Case of Fat Ted”): Part One

I had a mini-meltdown in my favorite bookstore last night. “Never judge a book by its cover,” or so they say, but when a book by an academic psychologist claiming to help us become more like Sherlock Holmes in our reasoning states on the inside flap that Sherlock Holmes used “logical deduction” to solve his cases, I jolly well reserve the right to judge the book by its inside flap. Yes, I realize that these things are seldom written by the authors themselves; and it is almost certain that some harebrained editor probably wrote that absurdity; but the Amazon reviews make it clear that the author herself is quite confused about the differences among deduction, induction, and abduction. Worse yet, there are now reviews of this book in places like the Boston Globe that continue to perpetrate this abominable deception that Holmes used logical deduction. Really, if you want to teach people to reason correctly, you’d better start with the rectification of names.

I have no time right now to flesh this out, but I most certainly will get to this in the next few days. Once my hands stop trembling. 

(Bonus points if you can “logically deduce” where I’m going with this series of posts based on its title!)

1 comment:

  1. You will start with the rectification of names!

    ReplyDelete

Why pearls, and why strung at random?

In his translation of the famous "Turk of Shirazghazal of Hafez into florid English, Sir William Jones, the philologist and Sanskrit scholar and polyglot extraordinaire, transformed the following couplet:

غزل گفتی و در سفتی بیا و خوش بخوان حافظ

که بر نظم تو افشاند فلک عقد ثریا را


into:

Go boldly forth, my simple lay,
Whose accents flow with artless ease,
Like orient pearls at random strung.

The "translation" is terribly inaccurate, but worse, the phrase is a gross misrepresentation of the highly structured organization of Persian poetry. Regardless, I picked it as the name of my blog for a number of reasons: 
1) I don't expect the ordering of my posts to follow any rhyme or reason
2) Since "at random strung" is a rather meaningless phrase, I decided to go with the longer but more pompous "pearls at random strung". I rest assured that my readers are unlikely to deduce from this an effort on my part to arrogate some of Hafez's peerless brilliance!

About Me

My photo
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
—W.H. Davies, “Leisure”