Just a place to jot down my musings.

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Yes, I'm this ignorant of pop culture

While growing up, my musical tastes were very simple: Carnatic music first, Hindustani music next, old Bollywood, then new Bollywood, and finally, towards the end of high school, Santana. Dire Straits was a bad situation to be in, Led Zeppelin was an unworkable flying contraption, Nirvana was a state that Buddhists aspired to, and Boyzone was not a place I wanted to be. Even my mom knew more about the Western music of her time—the Beatles, the Ventures, the Beegees, even Abba. I found pop music fluffy and not enjoyable at all, and I regarded most rock music as noise.

Well, this summer, I've been trying to change that. I've started listening to a couple of rock music channels to try to get a handle on this entire world of music I've not been exposed to. I want to keep a record of how my tastes evolve, and also to be able to get feedback on what groups or songs to check out. If you're not me and you're reading this, please don't kill yourself laughing at my ignorance; take pity instead and try to enlighten me. As they said during Vedic times (in a wholly different context, but we'll ignore that): tamaso mā jyotir gamaya

Bands / Songs I've (not dis)liked so far
  1. Dire Straits
  2. "Losing My Religion", R.E.M., and most other songs by them
  3. just about all the unplugged Nirvana clips on Youtube
  4. "Even Flow" and "Jeremy", Pearl Jam
  5. "Rockstar", Nickelback 
  6. All of the album "Final Straw" by Snow Patrol (I need to listen to this on repeat to really pick out the songs I like)
  7. "Here Without You", Three Doors Down
  8. Almost everything I've heard from Led Zeppelin so far, even though some songs sound a bit dated! "Kashmir" is great though.
Bands / Songs I've disliked so far
  1. everything (i.e., two songs) I've heard by Limp Bizkit
  2. everything other than "Rockstar" by Nickelback

Okay, more later. 

3 comments:

  1. i think everyone's mum knows abba at the very least. and for some undetermined reason most know summer wine too. it's quite disconcerting when the parents start singing summer wine on road trips though. much more generation appropriate for them to stick to mohd rafi songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lolz. your parents too? mine also often ( and rather disconcertingly) start singing "we had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun"....

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you like oldies try the yardbirds (Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page original band. He had to form Led Zeppelin after all his bandmates quit the band and they wouldn't legally let him keep the name yardbirds) and the who. The who is so much ineffable awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete

Why pearls, and why strung at random?

In his translation of the famous "Turk of Shirazghazal of Hafez into florid English, Sir William Jones, the philologist and Sanskrit scholar and polyglot extraordinaire, transformed the following couplet:

غزل گفتی و در سفتی بیا و خوش بخوان حافظ

که بر نظم تو افشاند فلک عقد ثریا را


into:

Go boldly forth, my simple lay,
Whose accents flow with artless ease,
Like orient pearls at random strung.

The "translation" is terribly inaccurate, but worse, the phrase is a gross misrepresentation of the highly structured organization of Persian poetry. Regardless, I picked it as the name of my blog for a number of reasons: 
1) I don't expect the ordering of my posts to follow any rhyme or reason
2) Since "at random strung" is a rather meaningless phrase, I decided to go with the longer but more pompous "pearls at random strung". I rest assured that my readers are unlikely to deduce from this an effort on my part to arrogate some of Hafez's peerless brilliance!

About Me

My photo
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
—W.H. Davies, “Leisure”